Thursday 5 May 2011

SPEAKING FROM EXPERIENCE - Drafting stop motion

I decided to try and make a draft of my final stop motion. I used materials to make up words and letters which were in relation to the message i was getting across, I chose my phrase:

'Bog roll is just bog roll, don't fall into the consumerist cycle, no matter how quilted, scented or adorable that golden retriever puppy may be.'

I used letters cut out from magazines to highlight consumerism, the word cycle, i have manipulated to move into a spinning circle. I have used tissue to produce the words 'bog roll is just bog roll' and to create pillows and a duvet like piece, which then covers up the word quilted. I used the prop of a perfume bottle in regard to the word 'perfumed'. When talking about the 'puppy' i have used an actual image of the dog. I felt all of these necessary to add humour and interest to help put across my message.

I soon realised my camera certainly isn't good enough, I moved the shot every time and lighting was forever changing so I will certainly be doing it properly next time. But this gives me a clear view of wether my idea's would work, and how to use the software to create a stop motion.

Some notes I took down from an induction:

Quicktime player
File > Open image sequence
Select first image in folder > open
12 frames per second > ok

To save images on photoshop first
open image
window > actions
Click on 'new action' icon
Name it
Image > image size > input numbers (720 largest)
File > Save
Close
Stop recording

File > automate > batch
select folder








































































Here I have used the images above to create a stop motion (remember it's my first draft!)




So I know know the basics on how to create a stop motion... i'm quite proud of what i've produced considering I had no idea how to create one, I had the use of a simple digital camera, a blank piece of paper and a window for light!


I have certainly learned that a set up camera and studio is a must for this project, it will not have the quality without it. I intend on speaking to some tech guys or someone with a bit of knowledge on stop motions! Attempt to book a photography studio session and get on with it. After watching the video I do feel music or narration is a must, Feeling more for the narration side of things, but I do have to consider time.

No comments:

Post a Comment