Wednesday 25 May 2011

INDESIGN - My final design - Evaluation


After looking through all of my designs, this is my final outcome. I'm really proud of this design, feeling it has a few interesting quirky elements but keeps to a formal magazine like structure. Using the word 'Epidemic' as a title is in keeping with the content and is quite humorous, after reading it, to then read the article, it will sound very sarcastic. I have kept a low tone on colour, the image hugely desaturated and type in just black. When printing out my designs, it gave me a real insight into the size type needs to be; a lot smaller than previously thought. I have chose point size 8, as its readable and fitting to the page size and amount of content. I chose the type face 'Times' as its quite contemporary and classic, it gives a formality to what is quite an unserious article, which gives it yet more depth and a humorous element.

Overall I feel I have made a real progression in using InDesign, I was very dubious about it at first, feeling it would limit me very much, in only being able to work to a grid system, but its so much more than that. After the InDesign workshops it certainly opened my eyes to the possibilities. My first initial designs, when critted I realised how much I had limited myself, after looking at some design online I realised how magazine spreads can be considered a piece graphic design on their own, some really works of art. I really inspired me that it's not all about content, but how you place it, use it and design around it. 

I feel for my final design I have really experimented and been through a creative process to achieve my outcome.
I have worked with a some what more complex grid system and series of image and type then I would have done, at first approaching this brief. I am very pleased with my design, as I can see how I've grown as a designer from start to finish with this piece.

As always, improvements can be made, some designs can be preferred to some more than others. I perhaps could have used more content, which would give me more to work with.

I am glad I was able to use photography within this piece, as found in previous briefs, I have taken a real interest to it, although my subject matter was quite hard to work with!

This brief has been a real interest to me, I've almost been more motivated to this over other briefs, which was nice, when I wanted to take a break from another brief, I would refer to this one, due to the fact its enjoyable more than a task. I did find research a main contributor to this, the want to re-create and have the ability to design something similar to those amazing designs out there was a real spur on.

No comments:

Post a Comment