Monday 16 May 2011

INDESIGN - A story about a man and a onesie.

Here a tale of Matt Chatfield, currently studying Graphic Design at Leeds College of Art, is only half of what there is to this man…White sugar with tea, Brown sugar with coffee.

A legend in his own making, he spent many of his days living the dream, in all it's glory, the entirety of the garment, worn in the simple pull of a zip. A luxury in warmth and softness, there was no need to ever change, or adapt his attire. It was perfect, it was the onesie.
Worn for weeks, it's accessibility to the loo was perfect - no need to ever escape from the red, cushion like fabric, simply undo the zip. It took a while for his peers to accept his new found ways, his obsessive nature with the garment. Some thought him mad, others thought it genius.

Soon enough there was an epidemic. One which swept the nation. Male onesie wearers. No longer acceptable to wear for those bed time occasions, it was now a second skin, a rash. Marmite lovers loved it, marmite haters hated it. Mothers finding it unbearable; asking to wash the onesie wasn't an option, a quick spray of febreeze was as close as they could get. Soon enough there was a foul taste to the air, the scent of bodily odours escaping the crevices of onesies everywhere! Enough! Matt Yelled, as he tore away that second skin he loved ever so much, revealing his naked self. Some say his skin had turned into that red cushion like material, others say a onesie shaped cloud erupted to the sky, some say he just put some jeans on and was on his way.




InDesign Made grid


A feel creating a grid was a very important element to creating my magazine spread. I had made several without one, and my peers commented, immediately noticing the lack of a grid system, which lives it some sort of structure. I feel working with a grid an easy way of creating designs as guidelines are in place for location of text and image.


InDesign Double page mock ups

Considering the content of the article is about a red onesie I felt it very appropriate to use images and colours relevant. I created a vector image on Illustrator of a onesie and placed it within InDesign, to use as one of the images. When interviewing Matt I asked his style of graphic design, he stated he likes bold, abstract layouts, along with bold typography. I showed him a few existing examples and he chose which he liked best, I have tried my best to manipulate the style he likes into my own designs. Things I considered were:
  • Negative space (He likes this with a design)
  • Bold sans serif font
  • Bold abstract colour blocks
  • Simple, unmanipulated / changed images (keeping as natural as possible)



My starting layout in which I am to manipulate and change to develop style

Overlapping of image, text and writing content works well here.

I dislike this design, the images used are to dominating to the design, and too contrasting; overlapping images cant be seen due to this factor.

Exploring changing font colour to red, and cutting into image for text and shapes. I feel this works particually well, in cutting into one of the photos it gives a level of interest and an abstract quality. I'm not too keen on the red headlines here.


Aligning writing to shapes, images and lines. Exploring the case of the title. I do fele lower case works very well, but I don't think it's to Matts style.



I really like the white text against the desaturated and lowered transparency images, it's certainly an element I wish to push forward towards creating a final design.

Removing the onesie vector adds a sophisticated and mature quality to the design.







Some further design development and sketches





No comments:

Post a Comment