Sunday 22 May 2011

SPEAKING FROM EXPERIENCE - Self Evaluation


BA (Hons.) GRAPHIC DESIGN
LEVEL 
04
 Module Code  
OUGD103


 Module Title
DESIGN PRINCIPLES


END OF MODULE SELF-EVALUATION

NAME
Stephanie Lawson
BLOG. ADDRESS
www.sl-lawson1013.blogspot.com

1.  What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?

I feel I have defiantly explored a range of approaches and mediums in responding to briefs. Since hearing from the last module grading that this let me down, I feel I have really pushed in forward, learning a range of new techniques too; this includes learning how to produce a stop animation, using photography and mixed media.

I have also really learnt on the importance on reflection and evaluating yourself, not only does it let other know of your approaches, but helps yourself realise what needs to be done next. Every alteration and change I make to a design, I find myself progressing and writing about this progression. 


2. What approaches to/methods of research have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?

I have found researching pretty difficult within this module, I'm not too sure why, but have a feeling it was due to identifying primary methods quite difficult, sometimes it simply couldn't be done, and I do find primary research the most helpful.

I believe I have been quite conventional in methods of research, Using the library for inspiration and resource, internet when necessary and conducting questionnaires and posting onto forums in order to gain primary research. 


3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?

Regarding exploration and development I feel I have really pushed myself, area's in which I had previously stayed away from, i've embraced and used what available to me. For instance, I created a stop motion, something I've always wanted to do, but knowing the images would have to be digital, had stayed clear of. Photography, another element I hadn't used to it full advantage.

I also feel time management has been on my side, I have stuck to using my diary and 'to do' list book, its a method which works for me.


4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these more fully?

I don't think I have addressed the issue or actually answered the brief with some of my responses, some within a group, other by myself. I have only really been aware when being critted right towards the end of the brief. I need to ask peers for opinions and advice towards the beginning of my designing and responding to the brief, and to always go back and look at the brief.

5. Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?

- To always look back at the brief, this will give me a better understanding of whats expected, and a clearer idea on how to respond to it.
- Ask peers and tutors for advice and opinions before its too late, in regard to whether I have answered the brief.
- Embrace a whole new range of mediums, to try something new for every brief.
- Research more before going ahead with designing, this will really help me get an understanding of content and context.
- Have fun, If I don't enjoy what i'm doing, it will show.


6.How would you grade yourself on the following areas: 
(please indicate using an ‘x’)  

5= excellent, 4 = very good, 3 = good, 2 = average, 1 = poor

1
2
3
4
5
Attendance

X



Punctuality

X



Motivation


X


Commitment


X


Quantity of work produced


X


Quality of work produced



X

Contribution to the group



X

The evaluation of your work is an important part of the assessment criteria and represents a percentage of the overall grade. It is essential that you give yourself enough time to complete your written evaluation fully and with appropriate depth and level of self-reflection. If you have any questions relating to the self evaluation process speak to a member of staff as soon as possible.


No comments:

Post a Comment