Thursday 20 October 2011

Good is...? Logo development

Working withe the feedback of 'making the type more formal', I decided I still wanted the hand drawn element, so decided to hand render a formalised type within my logo, I produced several designs on a large worksheet. I felt my typographic designs worked extremely well. I decided to mix up a range of fonts to use, and work with negative space. I then vectorised the images and experimented with composition.


Hand rendered logo designs





My favourite design from the three, but hand rendering doesn't have the crisp effect I want, even after being live traced so I'm going to move on to digital design.

Vectorised designs:

The range of typefaces, weights and styles I feel works well differentiating the words. If they were to be all the same typeface, it would be difficult to read, and understand how its to be read. I want to work with this approach within my final designs.




Working with a different composition, I'm not too sure about it, if the words ended in letters which had simple, straight structures it would create a block like compoition. But due to the awkward letters, 'K' primarily, it doesn't really work.






Working with negative space, it's quite a nice design and comes across as artistic which is possibly the approach I wanting to take considering 'weehouses' are architecturally stunning. The design reflects this.


A large design, it realy doesn't work, there's too much going on I feel.






I tried to mimic a design I produced by hand, it doesn't quite have the same effect but it's still quite nice and compact. The word 'Pack' is accidentally highlighted here, I need to scale it back down to the same size of 'Flat' for this design to be effective.








I quite like the idea of this, but its hards to tell what the logo is, because I've been working with it, I know exactly what it is, but new onlookers really won't.





Using a different typeface 'Orator' within all the words, I felt it became that bit more professional looking. The logo dividing the words, giving order to reading. 
The above design being one of my favourite, it's simple, easy to read, holds the logo, using negative space to highlight it. The monochrome colour palette works well with it too.


These designs I absolutely love, especially the bottom design. Its really outstanding and bold. Using the logo design to create the letter 'O' in housing I feel works really well.





No comments:

Post a Comment