Saturday 23 April 2011

VISUAL LANGUAGE - What is a line - Idea's for content

Initially the plan was to do something with tree's, and the fact that line's define age within the trunk. But my ability to find many tree stumps was quite difficult. I decided to keep the concept of line drawings, and nature, but steer away from just tree's and broaden my horizon. I'm going to start painting and drawing plants, shrubs and garden related equipment, in order to produce some sort of kid's starter pack.




















I took some pictures in which I was going to draw from, but after doing a few direct observational studies, I found the outcome not as good doing it directly from photograph.


As I haven't been back to halls at all, and where ever I go seeming to have no internet access, I decided this project (for me to get anywhere) will have to be mostly hand produced. My trip to Newcastle to see my family turned into a bit of a frenzy, going round various people's houses taking trimmings from their gardens to do an observational drawing. My grandparents garden became my main focus, as keen gardeners they gave me much feedback about the plants I was drawings - Meaning my product for kids soon turned into something aimed at people older...


So I then decided I have to finalise my idea, ideally to understand what I need to focus on. I divided my observations into three areas:


  1. Common border plants
  2. Common Garden shrubs
  3. Gardening equipment
It became more informative as I went along, soon becoming a gardening starter pack.


The workspace

Here are the observational studies I did:

Common Border plants-


















Common Garden Shrubs-




















I felt I was becoming a bit strict within media choice, only using pen and watercolour in a specific way, I know I had been given a lower mark due to this in previous work, so decided to taken a slightly different approach when drawing the gardening equipment, making it just simple outline drawings. -


















No comments:

Post a Comment