Tuesday 26 April 2011

EVALUATION - What is a line?

Evaluation for 'What is a line?'

From starting this project I had an idea for my direction but found my focus changing and growing throughout. Starting with trees, and how age is determined by lines within the trunk, I began looking at E.H Shepard and her approach to illustrative designs and producing my own studies in her style first my drawing one of her illustrations from a 'Winnie the Pooh' novel, then by finding an image of a tree and doing the same. I soon felt at a loose end, my line drawings were just that, I didn't particularly relate to my initial idea of lines determining age, but I did enjoy producing the line drawings I did. I felt this could be a new direction, but keeping a main focus on nature and plants within it.
I began taking trimmings from a relatives garden, to set my self up on a table with pencil, pen and paint and producing a range of studies in the style of E.H Shepard, which had my own distinctive style within. I had a vast majority of observation and began to categorise them into shrubs and border plants.
After speaking to a few relative, my grandparents soon enough gave me much information about each of the plants I was drawings, noting these down I soon felt it would be appropriate to really use this information to my advantage, my making my final outcome some kind of educational, informative item.
I drew up a few idea's. initially mocking up a poster, but found the information needed to be individualised to be made useful. I soon came up with the idea of creating playing card designs, and from that simple informative cards. With two sets of cards I felt another gardening element would make my final product that bit more useful. I started drawing gardening equipment, in a different format, giving a range to my designs. I produced very simple line drawings, paired with information about the equipment and how to use it.
With three sets of cards, I felt packaging would benefit the presentation and use of my product; I created a simple, yet sophisticated packaging to hold my cards.

Overall I am quite please with my outcome, although I felt I could have pushed forward and explored the idea of creating playing cards further. My research was most helpful and relevant to what I wanted to achieve. I feel there is defiantly an audience and use for my product. To take this forward, I could produce more species to add to my collection, and perhaps more area's within gardening, perhaps a hide on how to plant and maintain your garden. 

No comments:

Post a Comment