Friday 29 April 2011

SPEAKING FROM EXPERIENCE - A new brief, with plenty of idea's

From the workshop I gained a lot of idea's and thoughts about my approach to the brief. After highlighting a few words on the brief itself:

- Entertaining
- Humour
- Consideration of media

I felt I could take a humorous approach to the problem related question of : 'How does shopping around save you money?'. In that I have been wanting to produce a stop motion for some time now, I could use this media as it's new to me, and I feel learning how to produce it will give me a further range of what I can work in. Before the workshop, I had this idea to produce a typography collage, making words from packaging of high a low brands of items. This in an attempt to persuade students that making that transition saves you a lot of money in the long run. The stop motion will be a series of sentences, which relate to informing students this; an idea given to me within the workshop by Sam was to make the items used to make the type, relevant to students and humorous. For instance condoms, toilet roll etc.

Another idea I came up with was to be 3dimentional in relation to the problem related question of: 'Whats the quickest route to university?'. This will be visually engaging in informing students on the quickest routes. I would produce 3d structures which represent icons and points found on websites and other such medias which students are familiar with, and place them along the route. For instance the google icon used to pin point a place, I would make a 3d structure and place on a place in which you pass en route. A good point which was made is the workshop was to think of signage - how I could manipulate it (without offence) to help freshers along the way.

The plan of action.

1st week:

- I intend on as finding as much inspiration as possible, packing up my context blog. I'll look through the library, the Internet, keep an eye out for notices and signs which also aid people in finding there way to a particular place, which is already out in the environment.

- Do primary research; finding out what luxuries people have had to make the transition from, how long they take to do their shopping, and whether they shop around at all. Ask how long it took people, as a fresher, to figure out the quickest route.

- Take the information I have gathered, research further into products mentioned (price) and produce phrases and information which I could use within the stop motion.
- Start asking students what their route is to uni, giving them a map to highlight the way.
- Collect packaging or items of high and basic brands, begin manipulating and experimenting with type. (Think of what typeface to use, if at all?)
- Story board a stop motion, do a small mock up (ask tech guys for help!)


I feel this is as far as I should take it, considering I have two idea's, and need to concentrate on just the one. I feel after doing this research and work I will have a clearer idea of which is stronger.

No comments:

Post a Comment