Friday 7 January 2011

The relation between allergies and genetics

The relation between Allergies and Genetics - Secondary Information
According to online statistics identical twins are 70% likely to have the same allergic diseases. Allergic parents are likely to have allergic children and are likely to be more severe than if they have non-allergic parents. 
Some allergies though are not consistent along with genealogies; parents allergic to peanuts may have children who are allergic to ragweed.
Apparently the likelihood of  of allergies developing is inherited and related to an irregularity in the immune system,  but the specific allergen is not. 


The relation between allergies and genetics - Primary Information
Due to my own experience I have come to learn that genetics is a main contributor to me having the allergies I do. Half of my family have asthma and eczema, so its no surprise I have them to. I have also been told, and heard through word of mouth that the two allergies and some what related. A lot of people I know with the allergy seem to have both. 


What I've found from my research
I found that the people questioned who had food allergies, generally a family member suffered the same. I also found interesting that 'Richard' had an allergic parent, he had the same allergy as his mother, but had worse symptoms than her. This proves the secondary research correct.

No comments:

Post a Comment