Sunday 9 December 2012

Casa Mia






Evaluation


This brief was originally driven by another - a Tigerprint design a day brief. I've always been interested in hand rendered type so wanted to do a 'Type a day' project to obtain my own hand rendered typography resource. Rather than do this on the side, I wanted to incorporate it into a brief. This is when I came up with the idea of producing descriptives, this then gave me the idea of use a Menu for content. I happened to go for a meal in Casa Mia, firstly trying to book a table online: I found their webite very hard to use and aesthetically awful, it was overloaded with information and a christmas colour palette.

I really enjoyed writing for this brief, as it was some what real. A restaurant I had personally come across, experienced it bad design, created and thought up a concept and put it into play. Because I was genuinly passionate and interested I felt the brief came along a lot quicker, the amount of work I produced was something which would have taken me double the time last year. With the passion I had for this brief, I was driven to explore new processes which would compliment my hand rendered design elements. This included embossing, laminating, screen printing and exploring stock choices I hadn't otherwise used before. This brief alone has taught me so much, that your final products look so much better when you put the time and effort in, it really pays off. A few problems did arise when trying to screen print - the time I estimated it would take, ended up doubling. This was due to me not remembering how to screen print - so I needed help, which I couldn't get some days. This problem also occurred with new skills I wanted to learn, but on a positive note, I now know how to, and this will help me in the FMP. Another thing I've learnt within this brief is to consider the use of the products - my menus needed to be easy to read by customers, so my hand rendered type needed to be legible. This also to the staff, they needed to be able to quickly differentiate the menus, so I screen printed a single word on each a bold, gold colour. This brief become very much consumer and worked led.

Overall I'm really happy with the final results, I've met the brief and had fun doing it. Its been frustrating and challenging at times, but because I had managed my time in a 10 week chart, and left time for mistake, I was able to meet the deadline well in advance. I would love to potentially propose the idea to Casa Mia in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment