Monday 27 August 2012

Tigerprint - Design a day - Re-brand a cafe

After brainstorming a few ideas around the idea of a design a day project I came up with an idea of pushing the descriptive words I wanted to typographically illustrate. Previously I was struggling to come up with a way to use them well. 

I have always enjoyed the quirkiness and nostalgia found in many of Leeds small cafes dotted around student areas, I wanted to go along with this idea of personalisation.

I want to re-brand a restaurant or Cafe in Leeds focusing on the taste of their food, presented through hand rendered typography highlighting descriptives used within their menu, with the intention of attracting customers through the description of the smell, taste, appearance and appeal of a food item or meal. My first idea was to simply create a menu, but my idea could be translated across the entire brand of a restaurant. The products I am going to focus on designing for consist of:

Wall Graphics
Menu - Range, starter, main, dessert, drink, wine, cocktail
Serviettes
Signage & Wayfinding
Bill
Advertisement
Website

Firstly though I need to find a restaurant I feel would benefit from such a re-branding, identify a target audience, get hold of a menu and highlight the words I want to hand render. This will then become a Design a day project, a word a day. This will make this project easier to time manage along side several other briefs. 

What I need to do:

Visit several cafes and restaurants and ask for menu, or attain online
Identify the descriptive words
Find existing examples of illustrative menus
Colours which relate to food and the psychology of feeling hungry 

No comments:

Post a Comment