Thursday 30 September 2010

Experimenting with ice!

After gaining inspiration, i decided to experiment with the material ice, I felt this would look great as a final outcome.

Firstly i tried to carve out the letter 'A' out of polystyrene, to intend to fill with water, freeze, and remove. This technique, unfortunately. wasn't successful. I was unable to remove the ice without force, which caused it to break. I tried again using vaseline and cling film, this again didn't work.

This was my favourite and most successful experiment. Ad i found the first experiment difficult and time consuming I decided to freeze, a previously collected example of the letter 'a' which was printed onto glossy paper - therefore able to freeze without ink leakage. I really liked the outcome and intend to use it within my final piece.


Another idea was to freeze, in a baking tray, a thin sheet of ice and layer it on top of work, as seen by another artist. This was unsuccessful as the ice tended to break whilst being frozen, or be too thick to see through. I attempted to make it thiner, but found it too delicate to remove from the tray without snapping it.


No comments:

Post a Comment