Monday 7 February 2011

YET ANOTHER, NEW, NEW IDEA.

As proposed by the crit I'm going to think again about my product. I need to re assess scaling, colour palette and to simplify my designs.

SCALING - Currently I have an A3 double sided poster. A small, square approx 15x15cm book. It was suggested I condense the poster information into a portable book. So, information needs to be able to be read, and when visually seen, my 15x15cm book was far to small for this.
My first, first, first idea seems more appropriate than any other.
Design element I don't feel was there, but scaling I believe was. Using a grid to aid this. Shape, I also feel is more appropriate, it feels more like a guide. So using this scaling and my up to date design -
and notes taken from the crit in relation to simplicity, I believe with a combination of all, should create some BEAUTIFUL!


COLOUR PALETTE - My previous colour scheme wasn't deemed appropriate. Although I do still feel it was, it is apparent it's not obvious to all, especially 'newby' intolerents won't realise purple as being a prominent colour used in free from packaging and designs. I need to produce a colour palette all will signify as being healthy in diet. I've came up with this, as in food health stores etc, such 'organic' qualities are apparent when using such colours.



FONT - Previously within the above designs, in purple, I hadn't really thought about font and picked two which I liked aesthetically. This consisted of Futura and Times. Looking back, I feel Times wasn't suitable for my book, It made my pages look hard to read an an effort to do so. I did like Furtura and it's bold statement, so I decided to follow it through to more recent designs.
I also tried Courier, as I seem to have a thing for typewriter like font's. But again, the use of serifs was too complex for my book. I wanted it to be simple.



FINAL CHOICE OF FONT
Futura was the most widely used within facts, titles and vital pieces of information. Helvetica Neue I chose to use when there was a mass of information, for instance a recipe, or a story. Times I used to give a personal quality to the names of those who gave personal stories. Also within my index it gives a professional quality to it.

SCALE

I began my designs using a simple rectangle, a lot of leaflets I had seen were portrait, I felt if I used such a shape, it would look too official, that wasn't what I wanted my book to be.

So I simply flipped the shape to be landscape, feeling this was more readable, and more personal, as it could be held in one hand, easily read and 'portable' as such.

I then went onto be a bit more abstract, using a square, so it was more 'book like' rather than just a leaflet. I felt this worked to some extent, but it then became a long read, rather than a casual one. It was also a lot larger in scale, which I felt wasn't appropriate.

Book

Poster

Final scaling choice
After some thought, a previous shape a scale, of being hand held and portable was more appropriate for my products.







No comments:

Post a Comment