Monday 18 October 2010

Alphabet soup. Take Two!

Ok, so we've had an extended deadline. Basically what we gained from the crit, we were to take into the design process to try and complete our typefaces. Based On what I was told, Heres the plan:

  • To find a serif typeface in order to depict where the serifs are.
  • For each serif ( in order to give logic to my curls) I will be designing a certain curl for each type to make it consistant throughout my designs.
  • I am going to produce my typeface in lower case to make it more legible.
  • I am going to keep the logistics of keeping to using 10 shapes to the entire typeface.
  • I am going to produce my Typeface digitally - a more proffesional outcome.
Glyphic neue Narrow Italic - This is the font I chose to adapt, now in lowercase.

Times new roman - I had to firstly find a font with many serifs to find where they were within certain letters. I would only be using the lower case element of this font. With this I had to identify the amount of different serifs. I depicted 4 main serifs, which consisted of an ascender serif, spur serif, bracket serif and decender serif. For each of these I produced a design, which you can see below in the design sheet (top right hand corner). This meant that letters would contain just a few 'curls' meaning my design would become more legible, and not too overworked which I felt was an issue in my previous designs.


Heres my first design sheet for the lower case design I intended to do after attending a crit and gaining feedback on my typeface.


 Heres the final product - The entire alphabet and 6 glyphs done in lowercase, using the logic given to my curls, limited shapes and serifs. Overall I really like this design in comparison to my previous uppercase designs. I feel its more simple making more legible, and with lowercase I could build on my adjective 'restricted' as only 5 shapes needed to be used to make the typeface.

No comments:

Post a Comment