Tuesday 12 October 2010

Alphabet soup - The brief and The design process



Brief: Design a typeface for a full alphabet and glyphs that represents the personality of your partner. You will discover their personality through a series of set questions.

Mandatory requirements: The typeface you create must be based on an existing typeface that you will manipulate.

Deliverables: A1 poster - tracing paper. Name badge for your partner - 45mm x 90mm


Week 1, the development stage:

Adjectives: Restrcited, Adventurous, Bold, Constructed and Responsible.

I found it very hard to interpret what the brief meant when defining the need to use an existing typeface. I felt it was very restricting in that you could only manipulate the shape and stem, bowls etc. So I first began with that, just to start on something! Using times new roman and reforming the thickness of serifs and stems. From this I went on to use the form of the uppercase of thsi font, and create a 'futuristic' style of fonts. Restricted was an adjective i used to describe my partner, so i decided to restrict the parts which make up the letter to as little as possible. For instance, within my design sheets you can see an 'M' is made up f just 3 shapes, other letters, even less. I then felt, i was creating my own typeface, but it wasn't related to times new roman, which was against the brief. So i had to take a step back and find a new font i wanted to relate to and manipulate.

I was looking within the book 'Hand Job' by Michael Perry and found an image which used a typeface I really liked. This image can be found with my Design context blog.










Once i understood that i could manipulate the font in a more creative way i decided, in relation to my adjectives, that an 'art deco floral pattern' approach would be suitable. I did many experiments but then realised I was being too loose in my designing structuring. There needed to be a simularity between the letterforms, for instance, several of my designs have the same stem, all of which could be one design and duplicated between each letter. But so far, i had overlooked this prospect...



So to gain some logic to my typeface, I decided to try and categorize the shapes which make up my typeface. Here's just a start. I intend to go more in depth, but you shall just have to wait for that!

1 comment:

  1. What personality traits do you interpret from the typeface designed to represent you?

    Bold is definetly a clear visual aspect of the typeface that has represented me, along with constructed and maybe adventurous.

    Describe what you think of the typeface :

    The typeface as a whole works really well, its unique and bold, which represents me.I dont know if the typeface would work as well at a smaller scale as it would become to crammmed, but not all typefaces are used for smaller point sizes. Another thing that i had noticed is that some letterforms on thier own were not recognisable, i know what they are as an alphabetical set as its logic, but if they were on thier own there may be a problem with legibility.

    In what ways is it effective, and in what ways is it ineffective of representing you?

    Its effective in showing that i have a bold personality, although i dont always show this. In ways it shows i am adventurous, but more in the design development than in the final piece. And constructed is another trait i can visually see in the typeface, like the way in which the letters have been constructed.

    ReplyDelete