Monday 6 December 2010

Printmaking - introduction to print

Introduction to several methods of type related print

Wood block
I really liked the hands on a method to this medium of printing, and enjoyed the fact that if a print wasn't 'perfect', it  would create a rustic like finish. I found it difficult at first figuring out how to lay out the blocks so it would be printed correctly but once over that, it was pretty simple. 



An idea I had was to produce labels, whether it be christmas, or birthday related, but here was me just experimenting with a print out of a tag, to then print onto this. It didn't work too well as i hadn't aligned the text correctly, but you get the point! Might try printing onto real labels, although i'm not sure if ill find    blocks small enough...



My nickname, given to me by my loving family...



Collograph

This technique was shown to us at the very beginning, it was rather fiddly, and the end result isn't really something i particularly liked (this may be down to content and colour choice). It was definitly something worth giving a go, and may work best with a montage of images or patterns, but i'll keep that in mind.









Monoprint

I REALLY liked the end results of the prints, using a varied amount of textures, cutting into the board and over layering. I liked how hand's on this was, making it feel quite personal, and you could quite literally cut and stick anything needed into the piece. The rustic, aged affect when I printed with the brown colour is something i'd really like to use within the final piece.






Printing onto the clearest of the papers didn't capture the various amount of tones which makes the print out affective when onto card or paper.


Letter press

This was extremely fiddly but did do it rather quickly. The professional outcome is really good, but it's not my style. I like things to look hand rendered and this didn't. But i could keep this in mind, for a final piece this may be good with a hand rendered image, my possibilities are endless.

A quote from the notorious Andy Warhol

The set out of the letter cases


Screen print


Starting to think about final piece
I'm thinking vintage, rustic and old. Looking into old technologies, sepia tones and half tones.
I began drawing up and painting aged looking scrolls, considering its a text related brief. I then moved on to art movement, thinking art deco/nouvoue, drawing up patterns I've seen around on fabric, such as curtains, settee's. I made up my own pattern, which i then duplicated to create a wall paper affect. I then thought about how i would consider text with this design, I came up with a few idea's...
















No comments:

Post a Comment